Saturday, December 08, 2007

"Match Girl" explorations...



The current project on the Gum or Mints blog is designing characters inspired by The Little Match Girl. I don't know if you're familiar with this tale, but it's pretty grim. It tells of a little girl forced by her abusive father to sell matches on the street during a freezing snow storm. The little girl sees the image of her dead grandmother before succumbing to the elements and joining the only person who truly loved her in the afterlife. No mention of the mother, so I'm assuming she fearfully stood by while the poor little girl was being traumatized.

In my version the little girl ties up her father while he's taking a nap and gives him the ultimate hot-foot.

I'll keep posting new sketches here, and the final art on Gum or Mints.

8 comments:

Matt Jones said...

Ha,hah! REVENGE!! Nice take on the story-

Vince M said...

Thanks, Matt. I really wanted to go a different way with this one. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

RYAN ASTAMENDI PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Vince! Great action with the girl lighting the match.....looks like you're having fun with it. Nice to see the process.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff, Vinnie! Can't wait to see the "Magic Marker" treatment you give these sketches. Like a 'big basilica!

Vince M said...

Hey you two, I appreciate the kind comments. I started having fun with these character concepts as soon as I went my own way with the story. The first few attempts were pretty ordinary and depressing, so I decided to jazz it up a little.

I'll probably be doing watercolors, Hutch. I'm trying to stay away from markers for a while, using more traditional tools.

See you both at the Basilica!

spleenal said...

great stuff
it looks likwe the little match girl would burn down your house

Vince M said...

She'd only burn your house down if you gave her reason to, and I think being abusive to her is reason enough.
Thanks for taking the time to comment, Spleenal. I like your cartooning style, very funny images.

Pasquale Venanzio said...

Nice style and funny twist of the story Vince;
ciao
Merry Christmas+happy New Year!