Wednesday, January 10, 2007

For Iwao...



I joined Warner Bros. Studio Stores in late '94.
I showed my portfolio to Designer, David Harrison (He's now at the Disney Stores), and after a few freelance assignments I was offered a full-time position as Senior Illustrator. WB was a fun and challenging place to work, we were able to follow through on products from concepts to finals. No licensees in the way of a compelling product, and the opportunity to work with Illustrators and Designers who understood and appreciated the characters.
WB's design studio was originally in NYC, the following year it was re-located to Los Angeles, I stayed behind as a contracted freelancer and later moved out to L.A. in June of '96.

When WB & Turner merged we gained the Hanna-Barbera characters.

Our VP Director of Creative, Ruth Clampett asked H-B Design Director Iwao Takamoto to give a "Chalk Talk" to the Character Illustrators, an overview of the H-B characters, especially "Scooby-Doo". Iwao was very generous with his time and knowledge, we spent hours with him in a conference room and later in his private office at the old H-B Building. He was working on final pencils for a Scooby-Doo Style Guide. His pencils were amazingly clean and clear. Very lively.

I remember having a very informative and fun visit with the great Iwao Takamoto.

3 comments:

Kimberly M Zamlich said...

This is awesome. I love the ghost with the pizza. I also love the rendered house. When I was a kid I loved Scooby--still do. I loved drawing animals back then. It's ironic, I did a bunch of Scooby drawings for Fred about a couple of years ago and was going thru those drawings yesterday as the news of his creator broke. Wonderful, solid drawing, V. Happy New Year!

RYAN ASTAMENDI PHOTOGRAPHY said...

I love the Exorcist tribute....

richtuzon said...

iis good...i like.