Sunday, December 20, 2009

1969... Blind Faith

What began as the most anticipated 'super-group' of all time fizzled to an end quickly. Clapton, Winwood, Baker and Gretsch just couldn't pull it all together. They made a lackluster LP and played some concerts, but in-fighting and ego's tore them apart within a year. More was less.
This one is more of an abstract cartoon than the rest of the '69 sketches, which is probably a reflection of my feelings about this group. Plus the fact that the likenesses were drawn from memory. I've heard Clapton perform "Presence of the Lord" a few times and prefer his vocal on it over the wailing Steve Winwood original recording.
I hope to get one more piece done for this series.

(click on '1969' in the labels tab below to see the whole series)

8 comments:

Eric Hutchison said...

Wow. Despite the chaotic feel I think the layout is really quite clear. I like this a lot although, keeping true to '85, I have never heard of this supergroup. And don't even get me started on that Steve Winwood creep!

max said...

Impressive likeness from memory, expecially Steve Winwood.
Beautiful drawing and yes, shows what you feel about the supergroup, but they rarely work.
I once saw Clapton in another supergroup, poor man, I felt for him, the others in the group were Joe Sample, Steve Gadd and Marcus Miller. Slow-hand and the machine-guns.

Vince M said...

Chaos and indifference!... Oh Boy! Exactly what I was looking to address! Thanks Eric & Max, your comments and feedback are much appreciated.

RYAN ASTAMENDI PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Vin, it's been 3 weeks....it's time to come out of retirement.

Vince M said...

I'll post again when I have something worth putting up.

Dorota said...

Great as always. Waiting for more....

Vince M said...

Thank you, D. I really appreciate you taking the time to post a comment. I will post more for you as soon as I can conjure it.

Vince M said...

Thank you, Bobo.