Sunday, April 25, 2010

Time to 'toot' my own horn...

While working exclusively with Disney's Food Division for the first few years on staff I got the chance to create new and exciting concepts for their licensees. One of my favorite projects was working with PEZ on a new way to present their Princess line. Even as a young boy I never liked the 'Head on a Stick' design approach that PEZ always used and I thought it looked particularly jarring with the more realistic looking Princess group. During a conference call with PEZ I noticed a bust of Beethoven that a co-worker had on her desk, and suggested that I thought that type of approach would work well for the Princess line. I made a few sketches and sent them off to PEZ. The next day we had their approval and began the line.
In the time since I've seen Star Trek and Bratz sets using the same approach. So I guess I helped PEZ re-invent themselves in some small way.

12 comments:

RYAN ASTAMENDI PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Yes, I believe you did! Way to go Vince!

Nicolette Davenport said...

very cool, Vince!

Vince M said...

Thanks, Ry. I always felt that Disney's licensees got a lot for their money. In addition to getting to use popular characters on their products they benefited from the innovations that the character art and design teams brought to the table.

Thanks, Nic!

Mug It Up!/Jim H said...

Neat -pretty cool to be involved with product development on this level!

RYAN ASTAMENDI PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Miss you already buddy!

Vince M said...

Thanks, Jim. I really enjoy working on property-based product. I've loved well made product from a very early age. Never got the 'bug' for working in animation, though. Seemed like a lot of assembly line work to me. Unless you were designing characters or drawing storyboards or doing layout or background work.

Thank you, Ryan. I miss you too, dear friend.

John R Wohland said...

Great solution Vince.. They look wonderful.. It must be nice to really have SOLID stuff in your portfolio of work. Cool!

Thomas Fluharty said...

Brilliant Vinny. Love it!~T

Vince M said...

Not liking the kamikazi comments... wish I could put a size 9 right up their Pacific Rims!

Kimberly M Zamlich said...

Hey V!

How are you? How's the east coast treating you?

KimZam

Stacey Aoyama said...

Hey Vince, How are you doing?? Love those Princesses!

Vince M said...

Hi Kim & Stacey! Doing well, having lots of fun dealing with punch-drunk contractors and service techs. I babysat a Verizon phone installer all day yesterday as he cleared old wire from the outside of the house and installed new ones.
Hope you gals are doing well.