Friday, October 06, 2006

Cats and Mice... 'Pulp Style"


I've had the pleasure of working with Jeff Shelly on the Mickey Team for the last 2 years. Jeff is the teams' Director of Character Art, and as creative leader he's responsible for concepts and finished art. With finished art Jeff would give me very clear rough pencils, and I would do the clean-ups. Jeff would review my finals and if there were any revisions needed he would bounce them back to me with overlays, and I would revise the art.

Concept art is another story. In this case Jeff came up with the idea of putting Mickey & Co. in situations based on cover art from Pulp Magazines of the '30s. After looking at some reference together, I set out to pencil a few concepts for presentation to the rest of the team. At this stage there isn't as much worry about being "on model" or expert draughtsmanship. Loose pencils and indications are enough to get the point across. That's why Mickey's legs look a little "wonky", I was running out of room and the lettering at the bottom was already done.

When it comes to drawing Mickey Jeff Shelly is one of the best. You can be sure that if this concept is approved he'll be doing the final art.

In a future post I'll show you a project we worked on for our Electronics Divisions' package art, from rough to final.

4 comments:

richtuzon said...

I wanna see more pulp cover Vince. I likie the pulp. Did you guys put color to them. Why didn't you guys present to the rest of the CA team? more pulp.

Vince M said...

I like the fact that you likie the pulp. You're a very fart smella.

John T Quinn III said...

yeah vince. why you always drawing scooby doo in my staff meeting? are you afraid of george, jeff and i too?

Vince M said...

I think I get so nervous with the learning new characters and the studying and the listening in meetings, that drawing Scooby-Doo is like taking a tranquilizer or hugging a security blanket.

When word came down at WB Stores that we were going to be drawing Hanna Barbera characters, I nearly had a heart attack. I'd been struggling with Looney Tunes for 2 years at that point, and finally felt like I was "there". I never watched Scooby cartoons, I was too old for that, so the idea of drawing them scared the heck out of me.

So I reluctantly began drawing the dog, and in time became the "dog artist".

So, Scooby = learned skill and confidence.

Now if I can only learn to draw that "silly old bear".

That's the short explaination.